Breastfeeding mothers have to be extra careful when they are taking medicines because it may impact the health of the child adversely; hence, it is mandatory to keep a tab on the medicines that you consume. The main reasons why breastfeeding mothers should be careful while consuming medicines, are as mentioned below.
- If the mother has cancer and is undergoing chemotherapy, it can cause severe damages to the child’s health because the therapy involves a lot of chemicals which can be pretty strong for the baby to sustain. Hence, you must seek proper advice from your doctors before you start breastfeeding when you are under chemotherapy treatment.
- Some of the medicines taken by mothers for heart conditions can cause irregular heart rhythms in the child as well. Hence, getting a proper diagnosis done from a medical expert is mandatory else, you can stop breastfeeding until you get a go-ahead from the doctors.
- When you are suffering from bipolar disorder, the doctors usually suggest medicines that have lithium in it and these medicines can again cause a lot of problem in the child’s health. Hence it is important that you seek medical guidance before you start breastfeeding your child.
- Injections given during the MRI scans have also been proven to be quite harmful to the child that is being breastfed. Hence, remember to keep the doctors informed about it before they inject the medicines into your body.
- If the mothers are suffering from any skin related disorders like psoriasis or severe acne the drugs administered by the dermatologists can have adverse effects on the child when you are breastfeeding. These are some of the medicines which can interact with the breastfeeding. Hence, keeping the doctors informed about your condition is extremely mandatory.
Now that we have understood about the medicines that can be harmful during the breastfeeding let’s quickly find the list of medicines which are found to be safe to be consumed while breastfeeding.
- Medicines which are safe to be taken during common cold
When you have a common cold or flu, the breastfeeding mothers can take medicines that contain Paracetamol component. some of the other medicines which belong to the group of Antihistamines can be taken because these medicines do not make you drowsy hence, they are safe to be taken when you are breastfeeding. Acetaminophen is one of those medicines which would usually be prescribed by doctors for inflammation. Acetaminophen can easily pass through the breast milk into the body of the baby but without any harmful side-effects. Hence, this is one of the safest medicines to be taken when you are breastfeeding.
- Medicines given to asthma should not be stopped
Medicines are given to asthma in the form of inhalers or rotocaps also do not have any adverse effects on the body of the baby. Asthma can e a life-threatening disease hence, even if you are breastfeeding it is important to take these medicines otherwise it may make you sick. Chronic asthma patients need to consult their doctors before they start breastfeeding the children because, at times, these patients would even be administered with steroids in order to get Asthma under control. During such times, it is important to get an overall health check-up done before the baby is being breastfed.
- Antidepressants are also found to be safe
Antidepressants are found to be safe, and there is no such evidence recorded when these medicines are administered to breastfeeding mothers. The babies have been found healthy even when the mothers are consuming the antidepressant pills. However, taking any of these medicines orally is certainly not recommended.
Hence, consulting a licensed doctor before you start breastfeeding is mandatory. At times, antidepressants are also given to the mothers after the delivery because of the postpartum syndrome. When it is being administered by your doctors, they would certainly understand everything about you and only then prescribe. Hence, taking them can certainly not be harmful to your child’s health.
- Home remedies for a cough
Almost all the home remedies are safe to be used while breastfeeding and these do not need any supervision. However, when you are taking medicines orally then, you must make sure to seek an opinion from your doctors because some of the components present in the medicine can pass to the body of the baby through the breast milk causing severe side-effects. Medicines containing the pseudoephedrine must be avoided because it can be extremely harmful to babies. You can also use the vapor and steam inhalation to get rid of the cold, and this would not have any side-effects even while you are breastfeeding.
- Some of the painkillers can be safe
By chance if you have a bruise or if you have a physical injury some of the painkillers like Ibuprofen are safe. Along with these, you can also take Paracetamol to find relief from pain. Some of the painkillers can be extremely dangerous to both the mother and the child too. Hence, before taking them, it is important to seek consultation from a doctor. Also, you must remember not to take aspirin when you are breastfeeding as they are known to cause severe problems in the child.
Despite these, if you still continue to take these medicines, you must discard the milk for some time before feeding the child. Also, if you notice some changes in the baby’s behavior remember to take the child to the doctor immediately as they would be able to identify the issue quickly. Also, remember to find an alternate way of using the medicine. Instead of using them as tablets, the medicines can always be used in the form of sprays. With all these precautions you would be able to have a lovely experience because the motherhood is complete only when you breastfeed your baby.